cars on private property before an accident | Fuller and Fuller, Attorneys PLLC

If you were hurt in a car accident on private property, it is important to understand how the law protects you. You will need to know what happened and why in order to collect the financial compensation you deserve. In cases of car accident injuries on private property, it is in your best interest to contact a lawyer right away.

The experienced attorneys at Fuller & Fuller, Attorneys PLLC have been helping accident and injury victims in Olympia, Tacoma, and throughout Washington for five decades. If you were hurt in a car wreck on private property, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your physical, financial, and emotional losses. Our car accident attorneys have the experience and resources necessary to determine what party or parties may be at fault for your injuries and pursue the maximum compensation you deserve.

To begin, the most important thing to know is that the fact that you were in a car wreck on private property does not fundamentally change your legal rights. You can still hold the at-fault party accountable—and if the at-fault party is a negligent driver, you can seek compensation for your losses. This is true for incidents occurring on all types of private property, including (but not limited to):

  • Private driveways
  • Private neighborhood roads
  • Business parking lots
  • Parking garages
  • Fields used for parking at festivals and events

Filing a Claim Against the Other Driver

If you were injured in a vehicle collision on private property, you may have a claim against the other driver. In this scenario, you should call 911 and exchange insurance information just as you would in any other accident scenario. You should also take photos to document the damage to each vehicle, and you should take down the names and phone numbers of any witnesses.

To file a claim against the other driver, you will need evidence that the car accident was the other driver’s fault. Your photos, statements from any witnesses, and the police report can all be helpful in this regard. But, you may need various other forms of evidence as well, so you will want to contact an experienced lawyer promptly to conduct a thorough investigation. Accidents on private property pose special challenges because the statutory “Rules of the Road” generally do not apply on private property.  Consequently, the police may not file a report or issue an infraction to the at-fault driver.  These special challenges make it even more important to hire an experienced attorney to assist you.   

Filing a Claim Against the Property Owner

Depending on the details of your wreck on private property, your attorney may examine the possibility of filing a claim against the property owner. Filing a claim against the property owner is uncommon but may be an appropriate option if:

  • The Design or Condition of the Property Led To the Accident – You may have a claim against the property owner if you were involved in a collision that was caused (or partially caused) by an issue with the property. For example, if you got hit in a parking garage or parking lot where the other driver couldn’t see you coming around a corner. 
  • The Accident Wasn’t Collision-Related – You may also have a claim if the accident was caused by a dangerous condition on the property. For example, if an unmaintained light pole fell on the roof of your car, this could potentially justify a claim against the property owner.

Contact a Washington Car Accident Lawyer for FREE

Cases involving car accidents on private property can be complex and require the knowledge of a seasoned attorney. If you were injured in a wreck on private property, a Washington car accident lawyer at Fuller & Fuller, Attorneys PLLC may be able to help. We can assess your situation, explain your legal options, and fight to recover the compensation you deserve for your medical bills and other losses.

See what our clients say about us.

To get started with a FREE, no-obligation consultation, call (800) 570-4878 or tell us how we can reach you online now. Our firm has served clients in Olympia, Tacoma, and other areas throughout Washington for 50 years.

by Fuller & Fuller Attorneys at Law
Last updated on - Originally published on

Posted in: Car Accidents