Personal injury law is very complex. If you were hurt in an accident, you may not understand your rights and how Washington law applies to your case. After almost any motor vehicle wreck involving injuries, it is in your best interest to speak with an accident attorney about your claim.
Most accident attorneys offer free initial consultations. This is your opportunity to meet with potential lawyers and explain your side of the story and learn more about your rights and legal options. It is also your chance to determine if you feel confident moving forward with a prospective attorney.
When choosing a lawyer to speak with, you want to make sure that the attorney specializes in accident and injury law.
Experienced car accident attorney Marya Fuller is a specialist in accident and injury law. Fuller & Fuller, Attorneys PLLC has built a reputation for excellence in Washington by helping clients in a range of personal injury claims. Our extensive experience in accident and injury cases gives your claim a competitive edge at the negotiating table and in the courtroom. We know how to effectively pursue the justice and compensation you deserve after a serious wreck.
What to Expect at an Initial Consultation
One of the first steps toward justice after an accident-related injury is an initial consultation with a prospective attorney. Initial personal injury consultations are generally free of charge and can take anywhere from 15 minutes to more than an hour, depending on the complexities of your case. These discussions can be conducted in person or over the phone.
It’s important to note that initial consultations are not legal strategy meetings. An attorney will listen to your story and assess the merits of your case at a high level. You will have the opportunity to learn about the prospective lawyer’s background and experience with cases like yours. If you and the attorney agree to proceed together, your lawyer will handle your case and provide specific guidance and advice.
How to Prepare For an Initial Consultation with an Accident Attorney
Meeting with an attorney for the first time may feel intimidating. The attorneys at Fuller & Fuller know that and will do their best to make you feel comfortable. Preparing for your initial consultation will enable you to stay focused during the conversation and help you get the most out of the interaction.
Documents and Information
Gather pertinent documentation and bring it with you to the consultation—or have it at hand for a phone discussion. While it is beneficial to collect all of the necessary information for the initial discussion, missing documents can be obtained at a later time, once you have hired the lawyer and he or she conducts an investigation. It is part of the lawyer’s job to gather documentation to prove your claim, so just bring what you have available.
When preparing for your consultation with an accident attorney, try to gather the following information:
- Accident details: These can include police reports and accident scene photographs. If you gathered information from witnesses, provide that, as well.
- Medical records: Provide your attorney with relevant medical information, such as after-visit summaries, medical bills, hospitalization dates, prescriptions, and diagnostic documents Again, if you don’t have that information, just tell your lawyer about what the doctor said and bring the names and addresses of the medical providers to your visit.
- Work information: This information includes details about time missed from work due to the accident and injury and the name of your employer and the contact information for your HR person, if appropriate.
- Insurance information: Provide auto and health care insurance information to your attorney, including account numbers and policy numbers. Bring your health card to your appointment.
Questions to Ask the Accident Attorney
When preparing for a consultation with an accident attorney, it is helpful to know what questions to ask to ensure the lawyer is a good fit for you and your claim.
Here are questions to consider asking an attorney so that you can feel more confident that he or she is the right fit for you:
- How long have you been practicing law?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- What outcomes do you generally see in cases like mine?
- What fees will I have to pay?
- How long do you estimate my case will take?
- What is fair compensation for a case like mine?
- Will you be working on my case, and will anyone else help?
- Will I be able to contact you directly about my case?
- Is there any other information you need from me?
An attorney will also ask you questions during the initial consultation. When sharing the details of your auto accident, it is important to be open and honest with the lawyer. It is natural to want to present yourself in the best possible light, but claiming that you were driving under the speed limit when you were actually speeding, or claiming that you were paying close attention when you were actually checking your phone, will only hurt your case in the long run. Be real with the facts. With a clear knowledge of the facts, the attorney will be able to build your best case.
Talk to a Washington Accident Attorney for Free
Don’t face your injuries or the legal process alone. The accident attorneys at Fuller & Fuller, Attorneys PLLC have substantial experience representing clients throughout Washington. We work tirelessly to ensure our clients achieve fair outcomes in their cases.
See what our clients say about us.
To discuss your case in a free, no-obligation consultation, contact our office today online or at (800) 570-4878. We proudly serve Olympia, Tacoma, and other areas.