If you have been injured in a car accident, several questions may race through your mind: How much will I have to pay in medical bills? How long will I be out of work? When will I start to feel normal again? Should I work with insurance or do I need a car accident lawyer?
When you sustain an injury in a car accident, it is always a good idea to discuss your options with a skilled and experienced attorney. While not all injuries necessitate legal action, having a qualified lawyer review your claim can help to ensure you are making the best decision for your long-term needs.
To schedule a FREE consultation with an experienced Washington car accident lawyer, call Fuller & Fuller at (800) 570-4878 today. We maintain offices in Tacoma and Olympia. We serve victims of serious injury throughout the state.
What are the Leading Causes of Car Accidents in Washington?
According to the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT), some of the top causes of car crashes in our state are:
- Distracted Driving. This includes activities such as texting, talking on a cell phone, eating, or any other task that takes your attention away from driving.
- Speeding. Driving over the speed limit reduces a driver’s ability to steer safely, stop a vehicle quickly, and react appropriately to dangerous situations.
- Driving Under the Influence. Despite Washington State’s strict DUI laws, driving under the influence accidents still occur frequently, leading to severe injuries and fatalities.
- Drowsy Driving. As impairing as drugs and alcohol, sleep deprivation reduces reaction time, delays cognitive responses, and increases the risk of falling asleep at the wheel.
- Aggressive Driving. Tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, slamming on brakes, and other forms of violent driving often lead to severe car accidents.
When you are injured in a car accident caused by someone else, you may have legal options for seeking compensation. Before you accept an insurance offer, talk to an experienced car accident lawyer who can evaluate your injury to help you understand its true worth.
What are the Most Common Car Accident Injuries?
Thousands of car accidents occur every day. Some result in dented bumpers alone. Others result in injuries such as:
- Whiplash. Whiplash is a soft tissue injury that occurs when the head and neck are violently jolted in any direction, straining the muscles and ligaments.
- Broken Bones. Accidents can lead to fractures in the arms, legs, ribs, and more. In severe cases, bones can puncture organs, resulting in organ damage.
- Head and Brain Injuries. From minor concussions to severe traumatic brain injury, car accidents are one of the top causes of traumatic brain injury (TBI.)
- Spinal Cord Injuries. Damage to any part of the spinal cord can cause significant nerve damage, leading to loss of function and potential paralysis.
How Can I Tell if My Car Accident Injury is Serious?
A serious injury will result in long-term financial and personal consequences. These may include medical and rehabilitation expenses, lost wages, and the cost of assistive devices, such as wheelchairs, made necessary by the injury. They may also include physical pain, psychological distress, and forced changes to your lifestyle.
Some car accident injuries—like broken bones or whiplash—might be treated as inconsequential by insurance companies, but even seemingly minor injuries can have far-reaching consequences. Having a car accident lawyer review your claim before you accept an insurance settlement will help you determine the best course of action.
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer Help Me?
When you are injured in a car accident, an injury lawyer can help by:
Reviewing Your Legal Options
When you meet with a lawyer, they can review your claim, assess your injuries, and explain your options. While it is ultimately your decision how to proceed after a car accident, consulting with a lawyer will help you make an educated decision about the best direction to take your claim.
Investigating Your Case
When you hire a lawyer, they will investigate the accident and take steps to preserve all crucial evidence in a timely fashion. This can include:
- Analyzing police and accident reports
- Reviewing photographic and video evidence
- Reconstructing the scene of the accident
- Tracking down and interviewing witnesses
- Evaluating the vehicles involved
- Examining medical records
Experienced personal injury lawyers know what damages are available in car accident claims and can calculate your overall losses based on the facts of your case. These will include any costs you have and are projected to incur along with things like lost income and earning capacity, loss of ability, and the physical and emotional struggles that can accompany debilitating injury.
Protect Your Interests Throughout Your Case
Insurance adjusters and lawyers for the insurance company have the skills and resources to undermine your car accident claim. They will scrutinize each detail to find a mistake or discrepancy. They may ask you to make a recorded statement that they will try to use against you.
If the insurance company is successful in these efforts, you may get far less in compensation than you deserve, or you may get nothing at all. Your car accident lawyer can act as a shield against insurance companies and their legal teams, ensuring you are never bullied or persuaded into accepting less than you are due.
Navigate Complex Legal Processes and Litigation
A vast majority of car accident claims settle during the negotiation process. However, reaching an agreement is not always possible. This is one of the reasons it is important to choose a car accident lawyer who is both an excellent negotiator and a proven litigation attorney.
When negotiations fail, your claim will go to trial. Here, your lawyer will build a compelling case to present to the jury in an effort to secure maximum compensation. Jury trials can take much longer than settlements, but they can also result in more significant compensation. An honest and experienced car accident lawyer can guide you toward the best solution for your needs.
Schedule a Consultation With Our Car Accident Lawyer for FREE
Olympia car accident attorney Marya Fuller is a specialist in accident and injury law, giving her a distinct advantage when it comes to investigating accidents, establishing liability, and calculating damages. If a sufficient settlement cannot be reached during mediation, she is prepared to see cases through trial to help ensure proper and full compensation.
Contact Fuller & Fuller to schedule a FREE case review today. We have offices in Olympia and Tacoma. We fight for the rights of victims of car accidents throughout the state of Washington.