The answer to the question, “Where can I find a dog bite lawyer?” might seem quite simple: use a search engine. But knowing what to look for when you search for a dog bite lawyer is not always easy.
The most popular query, “dog bite lawyers near me,” can net dozens, if not hundreds of results, some of which are sponsored or have paid for higher rankings. Queries like, “Dog bite lawyers Olympia” or “Dog bite attorneys in Tacoma” may provide slightly better results, but even including your exact location isn’t always effective. This makes knowing what to look for when trying to find a dog bite lawyer all the more important.
For more than 50 years, the Fuller family has provided uncompromising legal representation for victims of serious injury. If you or someone you know has been attacked by a dog, our experienced Olympia dog bite lawyer is here to listen to your story, assess how your injury has impacted every aspect of your life, and help you determine the best way to seek compensation.
Call Fuller & Fuller at (800) 570-4878 to schedule your FREE consultation with our experienced dog bite lawyer. We serve victims of serious injury living throughout Washington from our offices in Tacoma and Olympia.
Why Hire a Dog Bite Lawyer?
The American Medical Veterinary Association reports that nearly 4.5 million Americans are bitten by dogs every year. Of these, 800,000—around one in five—require medical attention.
Even small dogs can damage skin, muscle, and bone, resulting in significant pain, functional limitations, and permanent disfigurement. In addition, emotional struggles, such as anxiety, PTSD, and new phobias often accompany dog bites. These, along with the physical consequences, can have long-term effects.
A dog bite lawyer can:
- Assess Your Damages. Calculating the true cost of a dog bite injury goes beyond immediate medical bills. An experienced lawyer can accurately assess all of your damages, including pain and suffering, to determine the worth of your claim.
- Advocate for Your Rights During Negotiations. Insurance companies are often focused on minimizing payouts. A skilled dog bite lawyer will advocate for your best interests, negotiating with insurance providers and other parties to ensure you receive fair compensation.
- Represent You in Trial. If your case goes to trial, a seasoned dog bite lawyer will represent you in court, using their litigation experience to present a compelling case to the jury. A compassionate and dedicated lawyer provides personalized support, understands your unique situation, and guides you through the legal process. They stand by your side at every stage, providing updates, answering questions, and alleviating the stress that often accompanies legal proceedings.
Our Tacoma dog bite lawyer understands the profound impact these attacks can have on your life. She is committed to fighting for the justice and compensation you need to move forward.
How to Find the Best Dog Bite Lawyer for You
When you or someone you love suffers an attack from a dog, it is important to select a lawyer with whom you feel confident and comfortable. Your dog bite lawyer will be involved in your life for several months or more, making it important to select someone you trust and respect.
When looking for a dog bite lawyer in Washington:
Many national firms advertise in local markets. Some even partner with local firms to handle cases in specific regions. However, choosing a dog bite lawyer who lives and works where you do can make all the difference. Besides convenience, a true local attorney will understand the community, local precedent and statutes, and how best to handle your claim in regional courts.
Ask Friends and Family
Personal recommendations from those who have had similar legal needs can be highly valuable. If you know someone who has worked with a personal injury lawyer, ask them about their experience.
Look for Reviews and Testimonials
Platforms like Google Reviews and Yelp, often feature reviews from previous clients. Look for patterns in what clients liked or disliked about the lawyer.
Examine Testimonials on the Lawyer’s Website
Client testimonials often highlight the specific strengths of a lawyer or law firm. Like reviews, they can provide a clear example of how an attorney handles cases and deals with clients.
Examine Case Results
Look at the lawyer’s past successes in negotiating and litigating dog bite claims. During your consultation, ask for specific examples of how they have handled similar cases.
Consider the Firm’s Culture and Values
Your dog bite lawyer should align with your values. If aspects like family connection, community involvement, and personalized attention are important to you, ensure that the law firm’s culture reflects these values.
Trust Your Instincts
Ultimately, trust your gut feeling. If something doesn’t feel right during the consultation, it might be wise to continue looking. By taking the time to thoroughly research, ask questions, and assess your comfort level with potential lawyers, you can find the best dog bite lawyer for your specific needs.
Preparing for Your Free Dog Bite Consultation
Your consultation with a dog bite lawyer should be free of cost and obligation. In other words, you should feel free to meet with as many attorneys as needed to find the one who best fits your requirements.
To make the most of your free case review, be sure to:
- Prepare Questions. Before meeting the lawyer, prepare a list of questions to understand their approach, experience, and how they plan to handle your case.
- Assess Compatibility. Gauge whether the lawyer’s personality and approach align with what you need. This relationship may last for several months, so comfort and trust are key.
- Evaluate Communication Skills. Effective communication is vital. Assess how well the lawyer explains complex legal matters and whether they listen and respond to your concerns.
- Consider Accessibility. You’ll want a lawyer who is accessible and responsive. Ask about their policy on returning emails and calls.
- Inquire about Fees. Understand the fee structure. Does the firm work on a contingency basis? What does that cover? How much will the firm expect if they win your case? And will you be required to pay fees if they lose?
Most dog bite lawyers in Washington work on a contingency basis. This means that attorney’s fees are contingent on the successful conclusion of your case. If you win, you pay the firm a percentage of your settlement. If you lose, you do not have to pay attorney fees. You may still be on the hook for court costs and other legal expenses. When asking about contingency fees, make sure you understand what they do and do not cover.
How Long Do I Have to File a Dog Bite Claim in Washington?
In Washington State, the statute of limitations for dog bites is typically three years (see Revised Code of Washington 4.16.080), but there are exceptions. However, while you generally have three years to file suit, building a strong dog bite claim takes time and effort. Seeking legal counsel early ensures that your lawyer has enough time to gather evidence, consult experts, and prepare a compelling case.
With the clock ticking from the date of the injury, seeking guidance from a skilled Olympia dog bite lawyer as soon as possible ensures that you preserve your right to pursue compensation. Fuller & Fuller is here to help. Reach out today for a free consultation to learn more about your options.
Exceptions to the Statute of Limitations for Children Attacked by Dogs
When a child is attacked by a dog, the three-year limitation does not begin until they turn 18 years old.
A child’s parent or guardian can still initiate legal action on their behalf before they reach adulthood. This can expedite the process of obtaining compensation. It is best to proceed as soon as possible because evidence and records can be lost or memories can fade over time.
What Kinds of Damages Can I Seek for a Dog Bite Injury?
A dog bite can lead to a complex array of damages, affecting not just your physical health but also your emotional well-being and financial stability. An experienced dog bite lawyer can help you identify and quantify damages including:
- Medical Expenses
- Current and Future Lost Wages
- Physical Pain
- Emotional Suffering
- And More
Dog bite injuries can be deeply traumatic, affecting all aspects of your life. Washington State law recognizes the multifaceted nature of these injuries and allows for comprehensive compensation without specific caps on damages. This means that you can seek maximum compensation for all of your damages, not just those with a provable cost.
During your initial consultation, we will carefully review your claim to help you determine its full value.
Contact Our Washington Dog Bite Lawyer for FREE!
If you or someone you love has been attacked by a dog in Washington, Attorney Marya Fuller, a specialist in accident and injury law, welcomes the opportunity to hear your story and help you understand all of your options. With a history of success and a dedication to treating clients like family, Fuller & Fuller is here to help you obtain the justice you deserve.
To schedule your FREE and confidential case review, please contact us today. We maintain offices in Tacoma and Olympia. We serve all nearby areas of Washington.